Sunday, February 10, 2008

What are you eating?


I am always so curious about what other people eat. Especially at this time of year, when very little produce is actually in season. We have been eating a lot of soup, and especially cultured- cream based vegetable soups. There is always winter squash waiting around indefinitely to be eaten, but my favorite right now is cauliflower. I love that it is rich and filling, but not starchy.
I'll share the recipe.

Cream of Cauliflower Soup
I sautee one onion until golden in bacon fat (I always save mine when I make bacon) with salt and pepper.
Then I add a head of cauliflower that has been broken up into florets, plus a couple cups of chicken stock.
I let these simmer together until the cauliflower is soft, then I add some fresh sage and/ or thyme and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
I turn off the heat and add some freshly grated parmesan cheese and a cup of cultured cream (regular sour cream works very well too) and blend some more-- sometimes it gets really thick and fluffy!
I try not to heat it much after I've added the cream, so as not to kill all of the beneficial flora from the cream, and it is usually just the right temperature to eat at this point. So good!

What do you find yourself making over and over again?

5 comments:

Daniel Shackelford said...

Tonight it was creamy beet soup! Normally I am an anti-fan of beets, but this time it was alright. I think Bea might post the recipe and pictures...

Megan McMillan said...

I've been making alison's thai soup recipe a lot: coconut milk, galanga, lemongrass, lime leaves, tofu, fish sauce, mushrooms, etc. It's spicy, delicious and less "wintery" than some of the other soups we've been eating so much, which is nice, since I am getting so very, very tired of all things wintery : )

doro said...

at this time of year, i keep making pasta with spicy italian sausage, roasted bell peppers, and some good parm! yummy...or i always want to have some butternut squash soup.

Unknown said...

It all sounds so great-- I love soups, and that is one of the best things about this season...

Kelli said...

One of our family's favorite dishes is Thai Coconut Curried Chicken. It is so warm and flavorful (with not just curry, but Chinese 5 spice, ginger, and more!) and has a bit of a kick from the cayenne pepper. Over rice it's so good. Also, it's tasty with tofu.