Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Accidental Cheese Making

A couple of days ago, I was making raw milk kefir, looking for a place warm enough to leave it to culture. Since our stove is electric and therefore cold when not in use, I just turned it on as low as I could and put the jar of milk in there overnight. I guess that 150' is the coolest it goes when it's on, and so the milk had curdled and separated pretty dramatically. It seemed ruined to me, but I decided to see if I could salvage it.
I should have taken more pictures, but I didn't expect any results worth sharing. I strained the curds and saved the whey for other uses. I put the curds in a dish towel, squeezed them and left them hanging over the sink overnight to drain. In the morning, there was a pretty firm but springy ball of cheese, so I pressed that with a stack of cookbooks in thicker dish towel for the better part of the day. Suprisingly, the cheese that resulted was very good. It reminded me a lot of haloumi cheese-- it had a little sharpness to it, but the mellow milky flavor of mozzarella. Plus, when I used it in a grilled cheese sandwich, it didn't melt but it got soft and creamy. The only thing I would have done differently is salt the curds after I strained them, although putting ham in the grilled cheese fixed that. Good outcome to a mistake, but I'm not sure I'd use another 1/2 gallon of expensive milk to make 6-8 ounces of cheese on purpose!

3 comments:

ShackelMom said...

That is amazing! How clever of you to make cheese from the spoiled kefir! I found a website that has excellent instructions for cheese making, in case someone gives you a great deal on more milk than you know what to do with. Here it is:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese_5_gallons/CHEESE_5gal_00.htm

I also enjoyed looking at the stack of cookbooks! :-)

ShackelMom said...

By the way, a potentialy warm place in a cold kitchen is on top of the coils at the back of the fridge. Usually there is a perfect place for a quart jar.

Anonymous said...

Good post.