Sunday, June 1, 2008

How are you economizing?

I was so discouraged today after my weekly grocery shopping trip. I went to Trader Joe's and our local produce store, and spent over $100 on the bare necessities. I was actually expecting to pay about $75, with some extra for the week to buy eggs, milk and some local produce, but I went over on the week's allowance and still see a semi- empty fridge. Prices have really shot up around here in the last couple of weeks, and I am trying to figure out what I might be able to do differently. We are already eating less meat, and really don't do much dairy at all anymore, since Amelia is allergic and Jeff is on a special diet (I eat kefir and yogurt.) I don't buy ANYTHING that is pre-made, not even salad dressing! I still refuse to shop at Walmart, and really want the money that I spend on food to go to farmers and to stay in our local economy.
Things I currently do to stretch the budget:
Buy lots of beans and grains in bulk, so I don't have to buy canned beans and always have something on the shelf that I can cook, like lentils or rice.
Only buy the produce I know we will eat-- we never end up throwing food away.
Buy whole chickens and make chicken stock and save the meat for lots of soups.
Use leftover grains and beans in soups.
Buy produce in season, and buy lots of it when I find a good deal (especially onions!)
Buy as much as possible from local vendors (although I had to stop buying the world's best bread from a bakery here because it was really expensive-- back to TJ's, only I am just now starting to bake my own at home, so hopefully that will help a bit.)

I think Jeff and I eat significantly less than the average person. I would rather buy less food and have higher- quality ingredients to cook with, but there is only so far you can go-- we need fuel! Food is just becoming a lot more expensive. Our budget is certainly not growing at this point, and when it does we need to be saving the extra income-- so I am determined to figure out how to make it feed us well. What are you doing to stretch your food dollars?

7 comments:

Daniel Shackelford said...

We are doing about the same as you. We buy beans and grains in bulk, and have looked for other staples to buy bulk. We did the wheel of cheese thing, which has been good. It is good cheese, so we use less, and don't buy any other. We also buy soy-sauce, vinegar, dried fruits, nuts and pasta in bulk (the dry goods from a local coop). Like you, we do not eat much meat (maybe once a week), but do eat a lot of rice with veggies and/or lentils. For bread we go to the local bread outlet and get the natural wheat bread for $0.69 (normally $2.59).

Lately we have been foraging, and last night Bea made laing from lamb's quarter, and turnip and radish greens from our garden. We have some nettles that need processing, and they will have a similar end. We have not been brave enough to eat the burdock, or pokeweed shoots. The jerusalem artichokes will not be in season until after the frost in fall.

Our biggest economizing is in the work we have put into our gardens. We are already eating spinach, radishes, and red mustard greens, and hope to see some peas and turnips soon. Hard work, but satisfying.

Daniel Shackelford said...

Oh, and for the ultimate in local economizing, Garlic Breath is way ahead. Kinda my inspiration in that area. They stopped buying anything but food and necessities almost a year ago, and during that time they have had a month or two of not buying any food, or eating on $1 a day. They are in France, so the situation is a little different, but not much.

Keren said...

hi Ariana,
Are there any local produce stands in your area? I have found, in Seattle at least, that the little mom and pop produce stands usually cost about a third less than TJ's or other grocery stores.

Also, I have a really really great tasting, flexible and fool proof recipe for whole wheat bread. It really cuts down to not have to buy it.

Combine:
1 C milk
2 C boiling water
1/2 C honey
2 T oil
2 T yeast
let the yeast act while you measure dry ingredients into a bowl.
4 C white flour
4 C Whole Wheat flour
1 T salt
dump in all the dry ingredients and knead with a dough hook until it is smooth and elastic. Let rise one to fifteen times. Shape into two loaf pans. Let rise. Bake for 35min at 350.
It only takes fifteen minutes to make it up and then I just carry my bowl around in my car if i have to leave the house to punch it down occasionally until i can come home again to bake it.
My friend forgot about hers over night and came back the next morning and baked it...it is a really great recipe. AND it tastes heavenly.

Unknown said...

I've been reading Garlic Breath, what a fun blog, and beautiful photos!
Keren, thanks for that recipe! I've really been enjoying baking bread this week. Unfortunately, my husband and daughter have some food limitations, including wheat, but I'm sure another reader will be able to use the recipe-- it looks so tasty!

Nathan said...

I feel ill every time I shop!

How do you eat beans and rice with your diabetes? My biggest challenge is Nathan and his Low-Carb diet! He is pretty active with biking long strectches, etc. but he still can not just eat a bowl of lentils- it messes with his blood sugars!

-carol

Unknown said...

Hi Carol,
I really don't ever just eat a bowl of beans and rice. I am more likely to have rice on the side to bulk up Jeff's soup, and most of our soups are broth, nonstarchy vegetables, a type of bean and some shredded chicken. When we have lentil soup I just don't eat very much and have some nuts later. This is also my biggest problem, since it's the high protein foods that cost the most. But it helps that Jeff likes to eat a lot of starch!

Nathan said...

thanks for your help ariana! I figured you probably tweeked your meals a bit. :)

carol