Thursday, September 13, 2007

For Starters...

I'm a bit late in reporting about buying food for the first week of September. I'll just make it for the first two weeks. I've decided that I am going to buy whatever foods I can from farms FIRST, then fill in the gaps with other sources afterwards-- if I do it the other way around, my money mysteriously disappears before I can buy from farmers!
I am doing a weekly order with Geercrest Farm, and they also coordinate with other farmers so they can provide a wider range of products at once.
I have a picture below of what my first week's order looked like-- for $40. It included two gallons of fresh, raw cows milk, a bag of produce (tomatoes, pears, summer squash, cucumbers, carrots, kale, pears, garlic, green beans, nasturtiums, chilis) and lots of fresh herbs, and a dozen eggs. This weeks was about the same, only two dozen eggs this time, and a little variation on the kinds of vegetables.

I found out after buying goats milk for two months at $15/ gallon (!!!) that not only can they supply cows' milk, which I would drink as well as Amelia, but it is only $8/ gallon. I can't believe I spent so much more money before, but at least I can afford to buy things like cream and eggs as well now.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I was so excited to see your new blog. I have been trying to educate myself of buying organic and from local farmers...it is hard becasue there just isn't much local where I live. With my son Robby being "chemically sensitive" (arent' we all) it is so important that I watch his diet very carefully. I'll be checking back often to see how it goes for you.

Unknown said...

Hi Heidi, I hope that following along with me in this can be an encouragement to you. If you haven't already, check out the eatwild and local harvest links on the side-- you might find something new in your area.
I just checked out your blog-- your kids are so adorable!

EMILY said...

ariana! i found this cheese blog and thought of you: http://pnwcheese.typepad.com/cheese/cheese_shops/index.html
it looks like it may have some local cheese tips. yes, i am working at yet another cheese shop. i love cheese.

Unknown said...

OOH, thanks Emily! I will have to check some of these shops out. I think a couple of the ones I found on the site sell at one of our farmers' markets, and I'd like to stop buying Trader Joes cheese all of the time.